The Love of Gardening is a seed once sown that never dies!
– Gertrude Jekyll
My interest in gardening started when I was a child, seeing my nani and mom plant and nurture the greens. So when I was pregnant with Ayaansh, my nani had advised me to have these essential plants at home.
So if you are pregnant or have an infant/toddler at home, then these are the herb plants that you must have in your garden. Having a herb garden is another way of bringing nature in your home and helps in solving small health problems.
- Tulsi/Basil Leaves – when the little one or the moms-to-be have some cold, cough or sinus issues, tulsi leaves can be added to boiling water and can be consumed for drinking. Moms can also eat it raw everyday. It helps in maintaining one’s immunity.
- Turmeric Plant – Refer to my earlier post for turmeric. The moms-to-be can use the turmeric leaves for cooking dumplings. Put the dumpling in the turmeric leaves, tie it and allow it to steam cook. The aromatic and healthy dumpling is all yours to relish.
- The Ajwain Plant – This miracle plant can be used for infants when they face colic or gas issues. Pluck the leaves, very slightly saute them in tawa, allow it slightly cool and directly apply it to the navel area(in case of indigestion/colic/gas trouble) or chest, back and forehead in case of cold and cough. You get immense relief. The moms-to-be can use this leaf in making pakoras, believe me it tastes wonderful. You can also make chutneys, they are yummy too.
- Betel Leaves – Betel Leaves help in multi-ailments.
Apply little turmeric on baby’s head, heat the back of the betel leaf, when bearably hot put it on the head., relieves from cold n cough. When there is any breathing issue apply little mustard oil on the betel leaves, warm them and apply over chest when bearably hot, For constipation, dip the stalk of the betel leaf with castor oil and dip it into the baby’s anus. Make sure you have a light hand. It aids in passing stools without difficulty.
- Pudina Plant – For babies having colic, add few leaves of pudina to boiling water, strain and cool the water and administer to your babies. It also helps in solving digestion issues. Use very fewer leaves for babies.
As the baby grows from infant stage to toddler to kids, you may add all the above leaves to boiling water, strain, make it lukewarm and give it to your little ones first thing in the morning. Drinking herbal water relieves one is passing stools, building immunity and building a healthy lifestyle.
So lets start, building a healthy lifestyle by planting a seed first.